Many artificial trees are fire resistant. If you buy one, look for a statement specifying this protection.
A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree. To check for freshness, remember
Place trees away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Heated rooms dry trees out rapidly, creating fire hazards.
Cut off about two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption. Trim away branches as necessary to set tree trunk in the base of a sturdy, water-holding stand with wide spread feet. Keep the stand filled with water while the tree is indoors.
Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways. Use thin guy-wires to secure a large tree to walls or ceiling. These wires are almost invisible.
Artificial snow sprays can irritate lungs if inhaled. To avoid injury, read container labels; follow directions carefully.
Indoors or outside, use only lights that have been tested for safety. Identify these by the label from an independent testing laboratory.
Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using.
Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage.
Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights could short and start a fire.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and any person touching a branch could be electrocuted! To avoid this danger, use colored spotlights above or beside a tree, never fastened onto it!
Keep “bubbling” lights away from children.
These lights with their bright colors and bubbling movement can tempt curious children to break candle-shaped glass, which can cut, and attempt to drink liquid, which contains a hazardous chemical.
Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.
Always use non-flammable holders.
Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.
Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
Wear gloves while decorating with spun glass “angel hair” to avoid irritation to eyes and skin.
Choose tinsel or artificial icicles or plastic or nonleaded metals. Leaded materials are hazardous if ingested by children.
Before lighting any fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers, and other decorations from fireplace area. Make sure the flue is open to avoid a smoke inhalation hazard.
Keep a screen in front of the fireplace at all times while a fire is burning.
Use care with “fire salts” which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals which can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation or vomiting if eaten. Keep them away from children.
When making paper decorations, look for materials labeled non-combustible or flame-resistant.
Never place trimming near open flames or electrical connections.
Remove all wrapping papers from tree and fireplace areas immediately after presents are opened.
Do not burn papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.